Dear fellow photographer, lover of light, memory catcher and creative entrepreneur,
If you are not following these five businesses/individuals you must start now.
In addition to nurturing and growing my portrait studio, I work full time for the government. And every few years I take advantage of a professional development seminar or conference in order to dust away the cobwebs, shake up my thinking and change my perspective. I force myself to step outside of the World I usually work in to test my thinking and expand my tool box. I always come back from those experiences with a renewed excitement for my job and fresh ways of approaching my daily work.
So when I started to feel a little bit bored and uninspired by the advice that cycles through the photography industry, I decided to go on a bit of a self led professional development tour around the interwebs. I was BLOWN away by how much rich, new and actionable content was out there for the taking. It just took me opening up my eyes (and my search criteria) to the broader world of entrepreneurs.
Today I wanted to share with you five of the businesses and individuals you NEED to be checking out if you are looking to grow and expand your creative business.
- Amy Porterfied – Amy’s podcasts are amazing. She covers it all: systems, content, inspiration, connecting with your audience. And she’s super easy and fun the listen too.
- Hey SweetPea – This husband/wife duo ooze authenticity. They totally get visual content and have amazing advice on how to use visual content to build a brand narrative. Bonus – they have great ways to pair words with visuals to drive connection.
- Melissa Cassera – Girlfriend, this woman has addictive copy figured out. If you’ve been in the photography industry for any amount of time you know that one of the things we photographers tend to struggle with is developing engaging copy: “I’m so excited to share this amazing newborn’s session – isn’t he just the cutest” (I know, I’ve been there).
- Gary Vaynerchuk – He is a social media genius. Enough said. Oh yeah, he also spent years tasting wine — which is sort of my dream job!
- Grit and Virtue – I shall quote them because they say it so much better than I ever could: “We focus on enabling momentum, unlocking potential, and speaking truth into the lives of women on their journey.”
This is only the tip of the proverbial iceberg. I urge you, if you are feeling a little bit beat up and run down by what’s out there, open your aperture a bit wider – there’s a whole world of information and inspiration at your fingertips!
Do you have a favorite business resource? I’d love for you to comment and let me know – I love finding new gems!
If this is right up your alley I’d love you to join me for a little experiment. I wanted to create a space for photographers that want to succeed as creative entrepreneurs. So I created a brand new, just born Facebook Group where I’ll to share (and hope you will too) resources, ideas and encouragement. Come join me and let’s grow this space together. https://www.facebook.com/groups/morethanacamera/